PillCam Capsule Endoscopy
The PillCam capsule endoscopy (previously known as M2A capsule endoscopy) allows your doctor to examine the small intestine as never before. The PillCam capsule is a camera that passes through your system and transmits images for examination.
To ensure the best results for your PillCam capsule endoscopy of the small bowel, follow your doctor’s instructions carefully and completely. Start the prescribed liquid diet after lunch. For the 10 hours prior to your capsule endoscopy, do not eat or drink except for necessary medication with a sip of water.
The day of the capsule endoscopy, do not take any medications 2 hours before having the exam. Wear an upper garment of thin, natural fiber such as a T-shirt that is long enough to reach at least hip level and will not ride up above the belt. Arrive for your appointment at the scheduled time.
During The Procedure
After swallowing the PillCam SB capsule, the procedure will last approximately 8 to 9 hours. Contact your doctor’s office immediately if you suffer from any abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting. Be sure to follow these procedures:
- You may drink colorless liquids starting 2 hours after swallowing the capsule. You may have a light snack 4 hours after ingestion. After the examination is completed, you may return to your normal diet.
- Be sure the sensor belt is tight at the waist. Do not attach anything to it. Check the blue flashing data recorder light every 15 minutes to be sure it is blinking twice per second. If it stops blinking or changes color, note the time and contact your doctor.
- Use the supplied Capsule Endoscopy Event Form to note the time of any event such as eating, drinking or a change in your activity. Return the completed Event Form to your doctor at the time you return the equipment.
- Avoid strong electromagnetic fields such as MRI devices or ham radios after swallowing the capsule and until you pass it in a bowel movement.
- Do not disconnect the equipment or completely remove the Data Recorder at any time during the procedure. Treat the Data Recorder carefully. Avoid sudden movements and banging of the Data Recorder.
After The Procedure
Return to the doctor’s office at the scheduled time to have the equipment removed. Or, if instructed to remove the equipment at the end of the procedure, do the following:
- Remove the Sensor Belt and the Data Recorder and keep in a safe place.
- Return all the equipment to your doctor’s office as soon as possible.
- Handle the Data Recorder and other equipment carefully without exposing them to shock, vibration or direct sunlight.
If you are not sure that the capsule has passed out of your body and you develop unexplained nausea, abdominal pain or vomiting, contact your doctor for evaluation.
Undergoing an MRI while the PillCam capsule is inside your body may result in damage to your intestinal tract or abdominal cavity. If you are not certain the capsule is out of your body, contact your physician for evaluation and possible abdominal X-ray before undergoing an MRI examination.
Contact us today if you are ready to schedule your PillCam Capsule Endoscopy in Richmond, VA.