How to Prepare for Your Colonoscopy with PEG 3350
5 DAYS BEFORE YOUR COLONOSCOPY – BEGIN PREPARATION FOR PROCEDURE
- Your prescription has been sent to your pharmacy. It is very important that you use these instructions and NOT those provided by the pharmacy. Please read and understand all of these bowel prep instructions.
- If you take blood thinners such as Coumadin, Plavix, Pradaxa, Effient, and Brilinta; we prefer these are not taken prior to the procedure. Please call your prescribing provider to determine if it is safe to not take these medications and, if so, for how many days prior to your procedure.
- Do NOT eat seeds, nuts, corn, or quinoa on the days leading up to your procedure.
- Do NOT take fiber supplements.
- Do NOT take iron tablets or vitamins with iron.
- Speak to your primary care provider or endocrinologist regarding any diabetes medications that you may be on prior to your procedure.
1 DAY BEFORE YOUR COLONOSCOPY – START CLEAR LIQUID DIET
- NO solid foods. You will be on a clear liquid diet all day.
- NO red or purple liquids.
- You can drink Gatorade, soft drinks, fruit juices without pulp, Kool-Aid and water.
- You can drink tea or coffee with sugar, but no cream or milk can be added.
- You can eat Jell-O, popsicles, clear soups (such as bouillon or broth) and Italian Ice.
- Mix all of the PEG 3350 with lukewarm water and refrigerate. You may flavor with Crystal Light-Yellow Lemonade.
- Begin drinking PEG 3350 at 6:00 p.m. and drink one 8-ounce glass every 15 minutes until you have consumed half the container. If you experience nausea, slow your intake or even stop for 1-2 hours before resuming.
DAY OF YOUR COLONOSCOPY
- Resume drinking PEG 3350 at _________ and drink one 8-ounce glass every 15 minutes until the container completely emptied. If you experience nausea, slow your intake.
- Completely finish drinking the PEG 3350 and all liquids by _________.
- Do not drink anything after the prep is complete except for medications you are required to take (i.e. blood pressure/heart/breathing medications) with small sips of water.
- Bring someone with you who can remain during the procedure to drive for you, as you will be medicated and unable to drive for 12 hours. Your procedure will be canceled if you do not have a driver that can remain at the endoscopy center for the duration of your procedure.
IMPORTANT Do not drink anything four (4) hours prior to your procedure. Ingesting any liquids within four (4) hours of your procedure may require that your procedure be delayed or canceled. If you have any questions, please call (804) 285-8206.