One in 3 children in the United States is overweight or obese according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Childhood obesity puts children at risk for many health related issues that could affect them throughout their lives. Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, heart disease and many others.
The good news is there are many things you can do to prevent this is your household! It’s all about being aware of your lifestyle and diet. Here are some small changes you can make to prevent your children from becoming overweight or obese and ensure that they have a healthy childhood and learn good eating habits while they are young and impressionable.
- Buy healthy snacks like apples, carrots, pretzels, and nuts.
- Read labels and watch their sugar intake. Processed foods tend have way more sugar than you would think so check the labels before you buy.
- Monitor/limit the amount of soda or sugary beverages they drink per day.
- Eat in. One of the best ways to watch what you eat is to cook it yourself. Make preparing meals a family affair.
- Make them go outside! Kids these days are glued to their T.V.s and video games. There’s nothing like running around in the fresh air to get some exercise.
- Make family time active. Go to the park, walk around the neighborhood or just play a game of catch outside.
It’s all about making small changes that lead to habits in the future. Reading nutrition labels and limiting the amounts of processed foods you eat will go a long ways towards improving the health of your family.