- Primary Office Location: St. Mary’s Medical Office Building, 5855 Bremo Road, Suite 706, Richmond, VA 23226
- Primary Hospital: St. Mary’s Hospital
- Certifications: Board Certified in Gastroenterology, 2012, and Internal Medicine, 2009
Dr. Talreja is originally from Virginia Beach, VA. In 2002, he completed a Bachelor of Arts with distinction in Biology at the University of Virginia. In 2006, he attained his Doctor of Medicine at the Medical College of Virginia/VCU School of Medicine. He then went on to complete his Internship, Internal Medicine Residency, and Gastroenterology Fellowship at the University of Virginia. During his fellowship, he was selected as the 2010 Department of Medicine Fellow of the Year. In 2011, he was the recipient of the UVA McPherson Award for Excellence in Clinical Research and the international recipient of the Yang K. Chen Fellowship Program. He was selected as the 2011-2012 Chief Fellow and was the recipient of the Carl L. Berg Most Valuable Player Award in 2012.
Following his training at UVA, he was selected for an Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship at the Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham & Women’s Hospital of Harvard Medical School , which he completed in June 2013.
Dr. Talreja’s areas of interest include gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD), Barrett’s esophagus, peptic ulcer disease, GI bleeding, difficulty swallowing, inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease), irritable bowel syndrome, changes in bowel habits, GI motility disorders, gastrointestinal polyps, disorders of the biliary tract and pancreas, liver diseases, and endoscopic management of GI cancers. He has expertise in the following general and advanced endoscopic procedures:
- Upper endoscopy (EGD)
- Colonoscopy (including removal of small and large polyps)
- Endoscopic retrograde Cholangio-pancreatography (ERCP)
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) with fine needle aspiration
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR)
- Radiofrequency Ablation of Barrett’s Esophagus (HALO)
- EUS-guided fiducial placement into malignant lesions for targeting radiation therapy
- Single-operator cholangioscopy and pancreatoscopy (SpyGlass)
- Single-balloon enteroscopy
- Endoluminal stent placement – esophageal, duodenal, colonic
- Probe-based confocal laser endomicroscopy (Cellvizio)
- Over-the-scope clip placement for leaks/perforations (Ovesco, Aponos pad-lock)
- Bariatric endoscopy
- Endoscopic feeding tube placement (PEG)
- Endoscopic dilation with botox or steroid injection
- Endoscopic BRAVO pH monitor placement
- Video capsule endoscopy
In his free time, Dr. Talreja enjoys traveling, running, basketball, tennis, golf, visual arts, and reading.